We advise clients by telephone and by email, by letter and (if it suits them) at our office here in Norfolk.

Voluntary First Registration of Council Land

Is your Parish Council's Land fully registered at the Land Registry, or are you relying on packets of old Deeds mouldering in your safe? Voluntary First Registration is an easy and inexpensive way of recording your Council's land-holdings permanently and on a system which is readily accessible to your Clerk, to your Councillors - and to your parishioners.

Cemeteries, commons, allotments, offices, parks and odd bits of grass that you acquired under a section 106 agreement are all registrable now. All you have to do is dig out the Deeds and check that they actually prove your Council's ownership. Then there is a (slightly technical) form to fill in and a small fee to pay to the Land Registry.

Nicholas Hancox Solicitors provide an easy and safe way to get your Council's land registered. Here is the process:

  1. We will fetch the deed packets from you (or you can bring them in our Acle Office).
  2. We will check the Council's title to each plot of land.
  3. We will calculate the current values for registration fee purposes.
  4. We will photocopy all of the deeds (in case the originals get lost in the post).
  5. We will fill in the First Registration Forms and send them off with the fee and the relevant Deeds.
  6. We will then check that the Land Registry has done the job correctly and send back to you:
  • Copies of the newly-computerised registrations and registration maps; and
  • The old Deeds for your archive or nostalgia department.

All land will have to be Registered Land, eventually, but for now, registration of land is only compulsory, when you newly acquire it.

Voluntary First Registration of your Council's land and buildings is well worth doing.